Possible solution to the Intersnout vs. Aquatic problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mapcratic, Jan 8, 2019.

1. mapcratic

mapcratic Retired Admin

I have been thinking about this solution to the ongoing Intersnout vs. Aquatic problem... merging the worlds as in the image below, placing a large portion of Aquatic along the map edge. This can be done with programs like MCEdit Unified. This way nobody loses their work as long as they've been built reasonably close to Aquatic Spawn (say within 5 km).

Going forward, especially when V1.14 is out, we should have a permanent world and a true temporary world, with the temporary world having a mandatory reset on the 1st of each month and the old one posted online for download. That way no one is under any impression that the temporary world will become permanent. It also opens up the potential for "new world parties" each month on the 1st, and pushes people back to the permanent server late in the month so it has some activity too.

aquatic-proposal.jpg

2. Spork

Spork Administrator

I like the idea but...

To me there are way too many variables alone to not merge them. One small one would be say you have one enderchest in Intersnout... you have an enderchest in Aquatic. One would override the other and/or you would lose inventory. There is also the matter of the backend directories and files. We can't just copy/paste an addon without side effects. Maybe I am wrong as I don't normally handle that side of things.

On top of that MCEdit hasn't been updated past 1.11.2... there may be other programs out there though.

3. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Get building you slack jawed turkeys

you DO NOT want to use mcedit to copy that much data, it will corrupt both worlds. I know this as ive tried it before... it's fine for small things like a building or a few chunks, but not an entire world

as for the endchest problem spork mentions, copying with mcedit doesn't use the end chest information, you'll get the original main world end chest but wont get the aqua one

people keep suggesting to copy large builds over or in this case the whole world, but what noone seems to understand is minecraft's chunk based worlds are really delicate and corrupt so easily when messed with

also you mention a "true temporary world", aquatic was a temporary world but everyone decided to ignore that and build there anyways

4. KevynM

KevynM Member

well name it killer place the same restrictions as killer and remove the old killer leaving space for another world if needed

5. GreyMantle

GreyMantle That package reminds me of my friends here ...

:eek: But I like the current Killer Vanilla just as it is... :(
    :oops: (* I just never have time to play mc any more).

I have not been on Aqua for very long so I do not care if it is wiped or reset.

In a perfect world, Map's idea would be cool.
    With each new version 1.13, 1.14, add limited realm for testing,
    Then append it to the main world with an expanded region say from x=n to n + 10,240 or x=-n to -n-10,240.
    Call it Intersnout Stripped Server.

But as Snake pointed out, the available tools are not perfect.

*Now, If any of you can provide me with a method of passive income so I can spend more time in any world here at Intersnout, please call me at BR-549 and we can talk. ;)

6. swr

swr ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just my opinion, but I built on Aquatic expecting that it wouldn't last forever. As much as I prefer the base I built on Aquatic over the one I built on Intersnout, I am prepared to lose it. I've learned from the experience and will probably do something better at some point.

I'm sure there are people with builds they are really attached to, but maybe it would be better to mcedit those across rather than the whole world? I went through this once on another server - I gave them the xyz-xyz in the old world and new world and they copied a small tower I had built on a mountain top onto a small island. They did that for everyone, though I'm not sure how many admins they had (I wasn't there for long). I'm sure not all builds are so easy (underground builds, for example) but even a partial copy might be enough to dull the pain for people who are deeply invested.

I'd be grateful just to be able to carry across some hard-earned valuables (eg. tridents!). Having an area near spawn where we can place chests to be mcedit'ed across would accomplish that without needing to mcedit everyone's storage individually.

Whatever happens, we need enough notice for an end of the world party. :)

7. The_Samurai_Duke

The_Samurai_Duke Active Member

you know, as old as Minecraft is, and as popular, you think someone would have come up with a good solution for multiplayer serves needing updates after every patch. I think the biggest crutch to Minecraft is the transition every patch. What do other servers do? It's be nice if you could just seamlessly reload all none ressed areas lol.

8. Spork

Spork Administrator

Most other servers do a complete reset.

9. Supersnaketate

Supersnaketate Get building you slack jawed turkeys

would be nice if they'd make a system where there is a "frame" and everything plugs into that frame so that mojangs additions dont effect plugins as they rely on the frame not changing. kinda like how rockstar handled gta v, each update is just another plugin into the game, if you copy that folder of updates you can install it into a fresh install of gta without breaking anything.. but i guess thats the luxury of a game that doesn't need to change the world generation or naming conventions of blocks, just simply add a new car in or the script for a new mission.

10. The_Samurai_Duke

The_Samurai_Duke Active Member

Honestly if I lost my build I wouldn't mind too much, but I just know how much effort is put into other people's builds and it seems such a shame that these massive projects just go poof lol. I think it would be something different if there was an acknowledgement that there WILL be a reset after each patch, and nobody is surprised about it. I mean we always end up with this debate lol, it never fails....I look forward to the banter that goes on and how we end up just going to another vanilla server, which is strange because people restart to another server, but the sentiment of their build on intersnout keeps them from wanting to see it go.